It is a kind of vasodilator also called nitroglycerin. It increases the blood flow and oxygen supply to the heart. It also comforts our blood vessels. It does prevent chest pain but does not stop chest pain. It is available in the market under brand names: Nitro-Dur, Minitran, Nitrostat, Trinipatch, and Nitric. The mg available for Nitro-Dur is 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, and 0.8.
It is designated for preventing diseases caused by coronary arteries such as angina pectoris. It will not treat the angina attack, and nitroglycerin will only stop it by applying its balm on the skin.
Dosage of Nitro-Dur
The doctor starts the dosage with a minimum quantity of 0.2 mg. the half-life and effectiveness increase with an increase in dosage. The most extended duration of effect that has been observed to date is 10-12hrs for one month in patchy management.
Thus, a scheduled dosage of nitroglycerin regularly of 12-14 hrs. is required. Since the effectiveness is determined by the testing and exercising tolerance if patches are routinely applied, in this case, efficiency cannot be maintained by increasing dosage.
Nitro-Dur dosage requires setting a complete plan and scheduling with time, quantity and mg. the program for children and adults will be different.
Side-effects of Nitro-Dur
The side effects are observed only when there is mismanagement with dosage. Side effects also depend on how nitroglycerin results when used as a vasodilator.
Headache is the most common symptom, especially while having a higher dosage. Some other side effects are as follows:
- Anaphylactic reactions
- Increased Angina
- Cold skin
- Blurry Vision
- Fast Heart Rate
Interaction of Nitro-Dur
It is a medication that can be consumed with other medicines such as herbs, vitamins, or any other drug. Consult your doctor before doing so as there are chances that any of the drug substances may cause allergy or side effects.
Although many drugs will not cause any side effects and can be consumed with Nitro-Dur, these are as follows:
Precautions of Nitro-Dur
- Before applying nitroglycerin cream, make sure to remove other lotions from the skin. It will help nitroglycerin to function correctly.
- Always maintain documents of the schedule and dosage.
- Don’t rub the cream into the skin. Use paper to measure the dosage. After applying, cover the applied area.
- Do not apply on the skin with cuts, scars, or irritation.
- Do not apply on the same area of skin always to prevent irritation.
- Do not touch eyes with nitroglycerin’s hands.
- Do not airtight the skin after applying this lotion, increasing the side effects.
- Always clean the skin thoroughly before applying nitroglycerin.
- Do not refrigerate it. Keep in the temp of 25-30 °C.
- In case you missed the dosage, do not apply extra cream. Instead, consult your doctor or wait for the next schedule.
- Do not consume this if you have a history of a heart attack.
- Although there is no evidence of its side effects on pregnant women, it should only be used to justify potential benefit.
- Nitroglycerin can pass through breasts, milk and can cause side effects. Do not take this without a doctor’s prescription if you are breastfeeding.
- Always take this as prescribed by a doctor.
- Do not take this drug with food.
- Do not chew or crush its tablet.
- Do not apply this over moisturized skin.
- Always carry your dosage while traveling.
Lifestyle changes to prevent Heart Attack
Always set SMART goals in life. SMART here describes as Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and time-oriented. Keep doing the makeover of your life regularly.
Follow a heart-healthy diet and exercise that boosts heart health.