Intestinal obstruction occurs due to blockage caused by food, gastric acids, fluids, and gas. This causes ruptures in the intestines that result in the leaking of harmful bacteria into the abdominal cavity. If the intestinal obstruction is not cured, it can be a life-threatening complication.
Symptoms of intestinal obstruction
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty in bowel movement
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Inability to pass gas
- Bowel sounds
Causes of intestinal obstruction
- Adhesions: It involves fibrous tissue developed in abdominal after inflammation.
- Volvulus: It is described as the twisting of intestines.
- Intussusception: It is described as pushing one segment into another in the intestine.
- Malformation of the intestine: This may be since childhood or happened lately due to some defect.
- Tumors in the intestine.
- Gallstones: In sporadic cases.
- Objects swallowed by children.
- Impacted stool
- Colon cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Meconium plug primarily found in newborns
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Multiple sclerosis
- Damaged blood vessels
Its diagnosis can be made in various ways.
- Physical exam: It is done to identify the place of pain in the abdomen, passage for the gas, or any lumps in the belly.
- Blood tests: The doctor may prescribe some blood tests to diagnose the situation.
- Urine tests
- CT scan or X-ray: It is done to check the blockage.
- Barium enema: It is a unique liquid made up of whitish-silver metal called barium. In this process, the liquid is inserted into the rectum to check the blockage.
- Radiographic Tests in GI: This test is done to test the source of stool, vomiting, bloating, constipation, nausea, diarrhea, weight loss, and heartburn.
The treatment depends on the report from diagnosis. You might also ask to go to the hospital, get surgery, or in mild cases; you can be cured with medications only.
In primary treatment, the nasogastric tube will be inserted through the nose to the stomach. It will make space for the gas in the gut that will cure the symptoms.
It would help if you also changed your lifestyle and diet to cure or prevent intestinal obstruction.
In case of severe symptoms, surgery can also be conducted. In this, the doctor will remove the blocked area or tissues that are completely blocked tissues.
Risk factors in intestinal obstruction
Bowel obstruction is mainly found in older people. It can be caused due to inflammation, cancer, or surgeries. The disease caused due to intestinal obstruction is
- Stomach cancer
- Scar tissue from surgery
- Lung cancer
- Colon cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Radiation in belly
- Breast cancer
- Crohn’s disease
- Eat a little more frequent and smaller amount of food.
- Chew food more.
- Do not eat high-fiber food. Also, avoid eating husks, strings, fruits with skins or seeds.
- Avoid whole grain foods or any fiber supplement.
- Eat white rice.
Frequently asked questions
Can you fart with a bowel blockage?
It would be pretty challenging to fart when you have an intestinal obstruction. Difficulty in a fart is one of the symptoms of bowel blockage.
What is a natural way to clean a bowel obstruction?
You can cure bowel obstruction at home by following simple diet instructions. Some of the do-follow diet items are listed below:
- Drink 3-4 liters of water daily. Stay hydrated.
- Consume high fiber foods.
- Drink juice or smoothies.
- Drink herbal tea.
- Eat food that contains starch.
What can I drink for bowel obstruction?
In case of fatigue, avoid higher-calorie liquid. Avoid soups, milk, yogurt, creamy soups, or milkshakes.
How long can you live with a bowel obstruction?
It will be challenging to survive without any fluid. In most cases, if bowel obstruction does not get treated, a person can only live a week or two.