Herbs are used to make food, medicines, perfumes, and garnishing.
There are a million types of herbal plants present on the earth’s surface.
In botany, they are referred to as plants without wooden stems and are soft in texture. It may be fungi, herbaceous, lichens, trees, algae, subshrubs, mosses, shrubs, ferns, annuals, or lianas. Herbs can be anything helpful to humans.
Types of herbs
These are categorized from vegetables used less in amount but give flavor and taste to food. Examples are chili, thyme, parsley, basil, sage, biennials, mint, coriander, or lavender. They gives health benefits also if used in small quantities.
These are those that can be grown in pots. Examples are chervil, thyme, marjoram, chives, parsley, and bay leaf. They require a pot size of 12-15 inches to grow.
These are those that are sweet in taste. Examples are cinnamon, peppermint, stevia, geranium, etc. these also include teas such as bee pollen, pandan leaf, star anise, rooibos, and licorice root.
These are that can be eaten raw or half-cooked as a salad. Examples are basil, chive, mint, tarragon, cilantro, dill, parsley, thyme, and lemon balm.
These are being used since 5000 BCE in medicine to cure diseases. Herb’s proper mixture and dosage helped to treat complicated conditions. For example: in old age, an herb called kava (Piper methysticum) is used to treat stress and depression.
Overdose of the herb can be fatal and can cause complications in the body. Modern pharmaceuticals have originated from ancient herbal remedies. In this, raw forms are extracted to form medicines to accomplish pharmaceutical standards.
These are being used for religious purposes since the monastic era. There are many sacred plants and trees that are being worshiped. Examples of spiritual and religious herbs are tulsi, myrrh, neem, holy basil, beal, Haldi, cannabis, white sage, and cedar.
Benefits of herbs
- Herbs such as linseed, lemongrass, and garlic helps to lower cholesterol.
- Cinnamon and flaxseed controls insulin activity and reduces high blood sugar.
- Chives, mint, oregano, leeks, basil, sage, and many other herbs protect humans against cancer.
- It contains antioxidants that protect us from many heart and other diseases.
Uses of herbs
Many herbs are being used for a particular purpose only. A list of a few are mentioned below:
- Rosemary is used to keeping away the mosquitoes. Its other uses are to keep the hair solid and dandruff-free.
- Lemon balm is used to treat fatigue and boosts energy.
- Marjoram is used in beauty products. It also builds strong bones.
- Oregano is used in the common cold and in case of inflammation.
- Peppermint is used to reduce headaches and to remove tension.
- Basil is used to reducing dark spots and acne. Tarragon is used in case of toothache.
- Fennel is used to eliminating bad breath from the mouth caused by pungent foods.
- Parsley is used to tightening the skin. It also lightens skin as it is rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, and chlorophylls, reducing dark circles.
Side effects of herbs
Although it is a natural product, it does have few side effects. You need to be very cautious while eating these. Herms, when mixed with other medications or supplements, reduces the effectiveness and may cause the same harmful interaction in the body.
Some common side effects are as follows:
- Always approach trusted and experienced doctors or neuropathy in case of herbal medications.
- Do not consume it after gathering information from the internet. This is because herbal medicines interact differently with everyone.
- Avoid purchasing herms online as they may contain some dangerous or poisonous substance. Always buy from trusted brands.
- Check the safety measures of the herbal medicine you are consuming.
- Always start and stop herbal medication under guidance only.
- Discuss your medical history and use of other supplements with the doctor.
- In case of any reactions or uneasiness, immediately contact your doctor.