Adempas is used to treat pulmonary hypertension and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. It is also used to treat high blood pressure in the lungs caused during surgery. Adempas is also known as Riociguat. It allows the broadening of blood vessels so blood flow can occur quickly by decreasing blood pressure.
Use of Adempas
Consult your doctor before consuming this drug. Give your detailed information to your pharmacist. You can drink this medication with or without food, taking it from your mouth. Mostly doctor prescribes this medication 2-3 times a day depending on your medical treatment. Do not forget to tell your doctor about another drug or herbal product you are taking simultaneously.
Remember to consume this tablet 1 hour before taking aluminum or magnesium, which reduces the effect of Adempas on the body.
Use ideas regularly for best results. Try to start with minimum doses, then increase the quantity gradually. Take this at the same time daily to avoid missing any dosage.
Side effects of Adempas
Benefits are always greater than risks or side effects. Adempas side effects are listed below:
- Lightheadedness (pass out)
- Vomiting, coughing, bloody vomit
- Coughing up blood
- Intestinal bleeding
- Bleeding in the brain
- Slurred speech
- Vision problems
- Trouble breathing
- Stuffy nose
- Swelling of extremities
- Abdominal bloating
- Swelling in leg and feet
- Anemia (pale skin, cold hands, or shortness of breath)
Dosage of Adempas
Initial your doctor will start with 1 mg tablets three times a day. After observing its interaction, it can go maximum up to 2.5 mg orally three times a day.
Consume this drug with or without food. If you are already suffering from hypertension, maintain a time gap between both medications. The risk of hypotension is more in older people and should be more vigilant.
In case of any interruptions in your dosage, consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Interaction of Adempas
The interaction of drugs causes significant changes in the body. Drug risk factors, allergy, and side effects depend on their exchange. Do not suddenly stop, start or change the medication without the doctor’s approval.
Some drugs can cause interaction with Adempas. Avoid consuming such a drug with ricioguat. The drugs that can cause trouble in mixing with ricioguat are aminophylline, nitroglycerin, sildenafil, vardenafil, tadalafil, isosorbide, dipyridamole, amyl, theophylline, or butyl nitrite. Maintain a 1-3 day between any drugs with ricioguat.
Mechanism of Adempas
It is a stimulator of the enzyme Sgc (soluble guanylate cyclase) and NO (nitric oxide) receptors. When nitric oxide combines with sGC, it produces a cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate) molecule. These all combine to form NO-sGC – cGMP pathway. Adempas energizes this pathway and creates cGMP to cure the disease.
Precautions of Adempas
- Consult your doctor about products you are allergic to avoid any severe allergic reaction when combined with riociguat.
- Consult your doctor about your lifestyle, including smoking, blood pressure, pneumonia, dehydration, or any disease.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this medication.
- Do not operate any heavy machines as Adempas can cause dizziness.
- Do not consume this during pregnancy, or you do not start your periods or before any surgery.
- In case of overdosage or any severe symptom, immediately contact your doctor.
- Store in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight. Keep away from pets or children.
- Adempas can also cause embryo-fetal toxicity.
- Do not take this drug before or after 24 hours of taking Viagra.
- Please do not smoke while taking Adempas, as it can reduce its effects.
- Avoid physical activity or quick movements as it can cause headaches. Physical activity should be avoided because of the adverse effect of riociguat.